Login Register

Red & Whites power to win against Tring

By Dorking Advertiser  |  Posted: December 13, 2012

  • STILL ON TOP: Dorking battled to a big win against Tring to maintain their position at the top of the league Photo by Martin Pitchley REFL20121208A-079_C.JPG

Comments (0)

DORKING are at the summit of National League Three London at the midway point of the season following a convincing triumph over Tring.

It was not all plain sailing for the Red & Whites as they were hit by a barrage from a lowly Tring outfit coming quickly out of the blocks.

With the hosts having not played for two weeks, they can be forgiven for starting sluggishly, but the Tring onslaught brought them to life and from the moment they first got into their exciting stride, they never looked back.

And they never gave their visitors a look in.

The away side took a shock lead at the Big Field. Ben Criddle had already missed a lengthy but fairly simple penalty kick, but made up for it by going over in the corner, with gaps opening up after a Tring scrum thanks to some eager yet untimely Dorking challenges.

Steve Munford took a penalty opportunity to bring his team onto the scoreboard, and then shanked another kick that would have put Dorking in front.

Tring were still offering a forward threat and the home side were struggling to impose themselves.

But when Cameron Pimlow chipped a kick forward and pressurised the kicker into fumbling the ball for Ben Knight to find Ryan Jeffery for a try in the corner, the Red & Whites took control.

Munford converted for a 10-5 lead and the result was never in doubt thereafter.

Dorking were to get real joy when chipping the ball forward in this game and their next try came shortly after Jeffery had kicked on and Ian White brilliantly claimed the ball.

It was worked left for Fraser McDonald and with a defender falling at his feet, the gap had opened up and he strolled over to score between the posts and Munford could not miss with the kick.

Ben Tyler then claimed an astonishing kick forward high in the air, but the move came to nothing as the half-time whistle sounded.

Harry Watts was named on the bench for the first time since suffering a double leg break last season and he took to the field for the second period as Dorking turned the screw.

Munford added another penalty and when replacement Tom Ward was sinbinned, Dorking ran riot against the 14 men.

McDonald grabbed his second of the afternoon after good work in the scrum set him on his way.

Then Knight, White and Watts all drove for the line, edging ever closer until Matt Higgins took it on and crashed over the whitewash for the bonus point score, converted by Munford for 32-5.

They were not done there and they went straight back on the attack and some sensational handling put Tyler away down the right wing and he dived over for another, again converted by Munford for 39-5.

Jeffery danced his way through the Tring backline but handed off to Munford, who lost the ball.

The visitors seemed to have no answer to the hosts' power and pace and they notched another try when replacement Adam Cooper was adjudged by the referee to have touched the ball down in a pile of bodies. Tring were not happy but five extra points meant little in the grand scheme of things.

Munford had to go off late on after getting a finger in the eye, bandaged up afterwards, but nothing was going to take the gloss of the home side's performance, not just on the day, but over the season as a whole.

All they have to do now is negotiate the second half of the campaign as well as they have the first and they will more than likely be heading for promotion.

Dorking: Knight, Grimstone, G Evans, Roux, Higgins, White, Vermont, Dobson, Munford, Pimlow, R Lucas, McDonald, Muller, Jeffery, Tyler, Greenwell, H Watts, Cooper.

Read more from Dorking and Leatherhead Advertiser

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters